That's My Window on the World





Well that's not my window- it's Rene Magritte's window. But I have been working on my windows in hopes they will look as pretty as a picture.




I live in a 1950's ranch house that came with oddly shaped windows in almost every room. Seriously, I don't think any of the windows are a standard size. The windows in my bedroom are the same as the windows you see in basements. My bedroom, however, is on the first and ONLY floor. Here is my attempt to decorate very wide but very short windows and give the bedroom more light in the process.

The before. I decided to make a fabric covered valance and sheer curtains to let in more light.







My husband, aka the handy man, built the valances out of 3/4 inch plywood that we had leftover from the sink project. He used L-brackets to attach the ends.

Then I covered the frame with 2 layers of batting and one layer of fabric using my trusty staple gun. (Scared the mess out of my dogs!)

Here is a close up of the finished window.

I made the curtains from a very sheer linen, and I LOVE how much light gets in the bedroom now. The handy man was concerned that they may be a tad too see through, and while we see our naked hedges, others may see naked something else! But we have no two story houses behind us and the hedges will fill in soon, so we will try it out for awhile.




Confession- The fabric was so sheer that it kept puckering like CRAZY while I was sewing. Although you can't see it in the picture (and not much in real life), I wanted to keep it real.

And here is a close up of artwork I made to hang over the bed, in between the awkward windows. It's a quote I framed for the hubs. (Who was very touched even though he thought it was weird I was being so sweet. :) )







P.S. I'm linking up to DIY day and Metamorphosis Monday.

Comments

  1. LOVE the valance and that you made it using wood from another project! The saying is sweet, too! If you want a little more privacy, I guess you could hide a blind under the valence and only pull it down when necessary. Great Project and way to be sweet to the hubs, it keeps them guessing! LOVE the RED Adirondack chairs in background! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to do a valance. It looks awesome. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog, and please leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts!

Popular Posts